Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Readings from the Book of Hope

I've been reading this book, and it has lifted my spirits so much, I want to share some of it with you.

It's always too soon to go home. And it's always too soon to calculate effect. I once read an anecdote by someone involved in Women's Strike for Peace (WSP), the first great antinuclear movement in the United States, the one that did contribute to a major victory: the end, in 1963, of above ground nuclear testing and so, of the radioactive fallout that was showing up in mother's milk and baby teeth (and to the fall of the House UnAmerican Activities Committee, the Homeland Security Department of it's day. Positioning themselves as housewives and using humor as a weapon, they made HUAC's anticommunist interrogations look ridiculous.) The woman from WSP told of how foolish and futile she had felt standing in the rain one morning protesting at the Kennedy White House. Years later, she heard Dr. Benjamin Spock -- who had become one of the most high-profile activists on the issue -- say that the turning point for him was spotting a small group of women standing in the rain, protesting at the White House. If they were so passionately committed, he thought, he should give the issue more consideration himself.

Causes and effects assume history marches forward, but history is not an army. It is a crab scuttling sideways, a drip of soft water wearing away stone, an earthquake breaking centuries of tension. Sometimes one person inspires a movement, or her words do decades later; sometimes a few passionate people change the world; sometimes they start a mass movement and millions do; sometimes those millions are stirred by the same outrage or the same ideal and change comes upon us like a change of weather. All that these transformations have in common is that they begin in the imagination, in hope. To hope is to gamble. It's to bet on the future, on your desires, on the possibility that an open heart and uncertainty is better than gloom and safety. To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.



From Hope in the Dark, by Rebecca Solnit

8 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It came at just the right time, because I have definitely been feeling hopeless. Want to meet in the rain at the White House some time soon?

10:15 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

It's coming to that, and I'm willing, just trepidatious about what germ or poison Bushco will deploy this time...

12:38 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger TFLS said...

I'm with R.D. - Thank you so much. If you haven’t already - post it on D. W'S - where it can reach even more people. I used to have that kind of idealism and beliefs; then I got older and terribly disappointed at the lack of appreciable movement. So it’s nice to imagine that perhaps my words or actions may, in some way, have lasting consequences. Bless you!

4:51 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Crabbi said...

Thanks, Gypsy. I'll have to read this; I could use a little hope about now. We all could.

Have you read The Impossible Will Take a Little While? I've been recommending it to people I know. The wonderful story you write about is in this book, too.

11:20 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger andi said...

thank you.

i have been wondering lately about that strange chaotic spiderweb/chain reaction/ripple effect stuff myself. life is hardly linear, but it's easy to get caught in that trap. makes me think silly things like, "well, i said it sucked, why didn't it just go away?"

(see your post below re: lab kat's latest re: erosion of women's rights.)

1:00 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I can ditto what everyone else has said. Thank you for posting and sharing. I keep telling myself it's going to get better, but now I have trouble believing my own words.

5:54 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Always, when the forces of repression push at society, the pendulum swings, and then the backlash catches it and we are catapulted beyond where we started. The repugnacans are trying to short circut the backlash, but as you bottle up social energy it tends to reverberate and grow in intensity, until no walls will hold it.

I prefer to believe that they are surfing the tidal wave of their own destruction.

9:18 AM, February 26, 2006  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Welcome to my Caravan, Crabbi!

I haven't read that book, but I've heard of it. I think we all need some uplifting right about now. I've felt alot of discouragement and sadness on the web lately.

9:20 AM, February 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */