Sunday, March 11, 2007

Open Letter to GM

Dear Sir or Madam,

When the prime minister of Japan said that US workers were lazy, I vowed to never again buy a japanese product if an american product was available. I have fulfilled that vow all these years. Now I find I must review my convictions, and these are the reasons:

1. I supported American cars in order to support the American economy. Keep the dollars here, keep the good jobs. For, even as the minimum wage tends to prop up the standard of living from the bottom, the good union job bouys it up from the top.

American car companies are shutting down their factories, and shedding union jobs. Detroit is becoming a wasteland. Toyota, by contrast, is opening a brand spankin' new plant in TN this year.

2. The American economy for the last 50 years has been driven by technology. Your decision to embrace the military industrial complex of death instead of the hybrid market was pivotal in my decision to never again buy any of your products. That you embraced the gas guzzling SUV instead of the hybrid was a pragmatic decision. The Hummer however is the symbol of your overweening arrogance. The hummer is an obscene behemouth on the city streets. Every time I see one, I give it the finger, and meditate on how american car companies are killing our grandchildren by polluting the environment. Used as a symbol to militarize our civil society, it is nevertheless in a class that includes heavy machinery and is therefore available to be purchased by companies that don't have need of them and using our fed tax money (money that is being offered for heavy equipment that generates profit rather than just burning up three times the gas to go somewhere).

I lived in LA CA for almost 20 years, and breathed the brown soot that passed for air out there. Recently the people of CA passed a proposition tightening pollution laws in the state to be at the same level as China. American car manufacturers could have replied by selling proven technology, low polluting cars there. Instead they instigated a lawsuit to allow them to continue selling pollution belching cars there. Now the state of CA is defending the people's right to clean air with money that could be better spent solving the serious problems that are threatening our health and standard of living.

I've always wanted a Subaru Outback AWD. . . .

Sincerely
SBGypsy

4 Comments:

Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Good letter. Nice that Toyota is opening a new plant in TN. That would certainly help decide to buy one of their products. Unfortunately, I won't be buying a new car. If I have to get another, it will be used... as always.

10:05 PM, March 11, 2007  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey OWL,

It's a good deal to use up the last miles of an older car, which is what I've been driving for the last 10 years or so. When you add the property tax and the comprehensive insurance, you end up with another car payment on top of your car payment. I have been saving up for what I call my "final car", If and when we ever get to retire.

8:01 AM, March 12, 2007  
Blogger Frederick said...

I had a Subaru Impreza...great car. Driving a Jetta right now, better fuel mileage than you'll get at Ford, for instance.

9:45 AM, March 12, 2007  
Blogger The Culture Ghost said...

Very well crafted letter.

The American auto industry had the opportunity to build the safest and most gas efficient cars on the road, but, once again, they blew it. Screw 'em.

6:40 PM, March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */