Saturday, September 09, 2006

Sept Gardens



This pond is on my way home. It's such a peaceful spot, and the owners are good enough not to wall it away from public eyes. I get to see it right after I walk thru my garden at work, which is full of weeds and yet still blooming.

Next year I'm planning on doing the cardboard trick. When the perennials are up, you fertilize them all, then after a good rain, you carpet the ground around the plants with cardboard(or multiple layers of newsprint-not colored or slick). Wet it all to soak the cardboard, then top dress the whole thing with about 2-3" of mulch. It eradicates the weeds, while keeping in moisture and slowly feeding the plants.




The white allium was given to me by our neighbors. She gave me two plants, and when they flowered, I was so enchanted by the ball of little perfect stars that I spread the seed all along the paths. The pink sedum was given to me by one of my co-workers just before he retired.

This Dahlia blossom was the sanctuary of some kind of bug. I have no idea what the name of this bug is, but we have lots of them. It looks so perfect in it's dusty yellow suit.


*click on the pics to open them

2 Comments:

Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Awesome photos. The one of the lake and tree is fantastic. I like the way you caught the reflection.

8:01 PM, September 09, 2006  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Lovely photographs. Everything looks so pretty there.

1:43 PM, September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */