Monday, January 16, 2006

Old Sturbridge Village



One very cool thing about Sturbridge Village is that they let you go twice on your ticket. The village is on 250 acres of fields and forest, with antique representative buildings moved there from all over New England.





The first day we went, thursday, was sunny and in the low 50's. There were puddles of melt water everywhere. I can imagine in the late 1700's the mess that would have been, with horse and cow pies everywhere, and long skirts to drag in the mud.




We met a pig named Rufus..




...Had the docents mostly to ourselves...


..and came back on Saturday, in the rain at 58 degrees, for all the stunning moody pics.



More to come later.




* click on the title for the Old Sturbridge Village official site.

5 Comments:

Blogger andi said...

that last one looks like it's straight from the crucible or the scarlet letter. very cool.

when you publish your brilliant photographic anthology of new england, please let us know. i can't wait to buy a copy!

10:38 AM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger TFLS said...

Oh - what a marvelous picture! It’s really romantic - very Dickensian. And that pig! What a charmer! Such a sweet face - I hope they treat him like an honored pet. I actually like pigs. Such intelligent creatures.

11:18 PM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

I agree with Andi regarding that last picture! It reminded me of a book I read many years ago called "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." I'm not sure they dressed that way, but that's what I thought of when I saw the picture.
The rest of the pictures are terrific, as usual, too.

12:26 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hi Andi,

We were coming out of the tavern, after having a round of mulled cider, and this young woman was throwing on her cape to walk somewhere. So, I go: "hold on everybody", and whipped out my camera, taking a bevy of shots.

Hey FLS,

The pig's name is Rufus, and he's very friendly. He has two girlfriends, which is a good thing, because there's only about 800 of this heirloom breed left in the world. My aunt had hogs at her farm in upstate NY when I was a little girl. They were humongus mountains of flesh, each adult almost as big as a cow, and probably almost twice the weight- and mean to boot. Rufus and his girls are only as big as a large dog.

Hi OWL, I do think that pic was the best of an exceptional day. I'll do a post on the artsy pics soon, I got some real winners in the landscape category, with all the mist that day!

8:40 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Absolutely agree about that last photograph. Spectacular. So moody. It does look straight out of The Scarlet Letter. Fantastic.

6:13 PM, January 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */