Saturday, December 24, 2005

My Personal (mild) Obsession

My obsession with naked trees came when I moved back to Connecticut after a living almost 20 years in southern California.

There the trees that loose their leaves in the "winter" are, in the first place, few and far between, and in the second place, they just look dead. They don't get the touch of frost to bring out the color in the leaves, so they don't put on any show in the fall.




The leaves turn yellow for a day or so, then crispy brown and fall. They make a mess, and look dead for half the year, so are not very popular.

When I returned to the land of the six month winter, the deciduous trees are everywhere - they were here before we came, and unless we ruin everything around us, they will be here when we leave for greener pastures.




And their branches make intricate, beautiful patterns against the sky. They lean over the roads, turning them into arched and vaulted corridors of mystery and delight.

In summer, they shade us from the hot and blinding sun, and in winter they shed their solar cells, and allow the weakened sun to reach all the secret places.






*click the pic for a larger view. (and if you ever want a full, non-compressed version of any of my pics, let me know, I'll be glad to email a copy to you.)

4 Comments:

Blogger TFLS said...

I love to sketch trees - the barer the better. It’s the bones of trees that are interesting - all those twists and turns - I just love to draw trees. Lovely pictures, my dear. And I hope your holiday is filled with love and good cheer!

3:39 PM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Wonderful photographs, sbgypsy. I love the tree and half-moon shot. Really nice.

I do hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday. Thank you for being a part of our lives in 2005.

6:20 PM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Trees are beautiful in all their forms, but I have to agree with The Fat Lady Sings that bare trees are great to sketch.

Your photos are terrific!
Happy Holidays! Let's plan on a great 2006!

8:36 AM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Thank you all for the holiday wishes, I'm hosting the dinner for 16 for my hubby's family, and I'll need all the good wishes to get thru that!

Hey, FLS, I stopped drawing regularly when my hands started to shake a little. Usually has a lot to do with how much coffee I've had that day. When I had a radio show in LA, 10 cups were enough to make it impossible to drop the needle on a record... I've cut back since then!

Hey, RD, Thanks for the encouragement. I lucked out on that one, I really didn't think the moon would be so clear.

Hey, OWL, I hope we all have a great 2006, starting with bringing home the troops, and ending with, Oh, maybe a little impeachment!

3:14 PM, December 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */