Saturday, November 19, 2005

Foggy Saturday



Last weekend I woke up to a foggy morning, and throwing some batteries in my camera, I rushed out to get some spooky pictures.




If you've hung out here before, you probably know I live in Connecticut. The farms here are so picturesque, and in the fog, they really look to me like a piece of the past come to life. Some of these farmhouses have been standing since before the revolution.



The leaves are all down, and the skyclad trees are fantastic in their stark beauty. We should be able to tell which species they are by the form of their limbs, and the bark, but even after growing up here, I can't yet. I've noticed that the Oaks and Maples have the most beautiful skyclad forms. The oaks retain their leaves, even after turning brown. I read somewhere it's a survival thing, that a stand of Oaks will do better during the winter if the leaves stay on and cut the cold wind.











This is our backyard. Some call it wetland, I call it swamp, especially when the mosquitos


wake up in the spring.














In the front "yard", the builder took down only enough trees to situate the house. After my husband bought it, he took down the few trees that threatened the house in a storm, and opened out the front, enough to grow grass. The whole lot is shaded, and only ferns, bleeding hearts and hostas really flourish. I've planted all kinds of flowering things, only to see them wither out within a couple of years.

Ahhh well, I've come to love ferns and bleeding hearts.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous - I have always loved fog. Though I was born in upstate New York, I grew up in Northern California very near the ocean. Whenever I could, I'd be by the sea - and that means fog - lovely, salt-scented, romantic fog. We don't get that too much here, and what we do get doesn't smell right. Those pics you took make me long for the ocean.

My hubby and I are planning to retire in Nova Scotia – lots of sea air and rolling hills. That and the seasons. I miss the vivid colors – we’d even get that in California. I have been land-locked way too long. You live in a lovely place, my dear.

11:22 PM, November 20, 2005  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

While I lived in Southern California, I always missed the seasons. When I moved back here, I realized that Winter is sure COLD!! And, in a bone numbing way that I'd forgotten. You can take winter, I'd love to give that gift back!

Someday I hope I'll convince my sweetie that winter is optional.

6:53 AM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Beautiful photographs. We've been having fog now for three straight days, with no let up. Amazing to see the trees disappear in a gauzy cotton of white. Everything is indistinct and elusive. I don't mind the fog, if it would just burn off by noon the way it's supposed to!!!

10:38 AM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey RD,

We don't get fog so often around here, so when it does come, I love to go out and walk in it. The soft edges on everything (including the sound of your footsteps). I tried to get views with lots of overlapping layers of trees, so the fog would show.

I don't mind the fog, if it would just burn off by noon the way it's supposed to!!!

YES - REALLY!! It gets dreary if it lasts too long. That reminds me of the perrenial SF theme: rain every night, between 2 and 4am! Sunshine every day... Perfect for garden enthusiasts!!

And yet, I once received an orchid under glass, a pretty and exotic thing, it lasted for years and years, and eventually I liked it less than the fresh daisies that were so soon spent and drooping. Yup, and I love to go out in a storm, too, the bigger the better - at least long enough to breathe it in!

1:17 PM, November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */