Saturday, July 28, 2007

Our Good Planet


From Yankee Transfer:



I call this photo "Dinner For Four". These flowers were the centerpiece on the lovely outdoor dinner table at the house of a dear friend when we were on vacation in Massachusetts recently.


From Liza Lee Miller:


This picture is of a Flame Skimmer dragonfly on a sculpture of a salmon (or is it a steelhead trout???).

Dragonflies are creatures that let you see how people can believe in fairies!


A matched set from Portly Dyke:



These photos were taken on the same very magical day at the Washington Coast of the Olympic Peninsula (my beloved corner of paradise).



I'm generally a crappy photographer, but the planet was being so stunning that day that I just snapped these off -- no re-touching, nothing -- and found them breath-taking.


Two from Georgette deFriesse:


Both photos are of wild animals acclimated to humans. The first is a fox who will sit and watch my dogs and me, scratching at her many itches (it's not easy being a wild animal!) while pointedly ignoring my dog's barking, then get up and wander off slowly. She really is not worried that we'll harm her.

The second critter is an immature red-tailed hawk who lives on campus. A small crowd was gathered around this bird as he ate a squirrel on the ground. He was completely unfazed, even when I got to within six feet to snap this shot.


From Divajood at Journeys with Jood


This is from Alaska - outside Sitka

From Robin of the Dharma Bums:


I finally had a chance to get out and take a few pics. This swallowtail was sipping nectar from our blooming white dahlia.


Brian from Incertus sent this gem:



The picture I've attached is one I caught of a butterfly emerging from the bower on our patio. It's made of sky vine and red passion flower. The butterfly itself is a common variety--couldn't tell you the name of it--but I was pleased I caught it at just the moment of coming out of the cocoon. Hope you enjoy it.

From Wanderin' Weeta: Life in an alley :





Here are two photos I took in a Vancouver alley last week. Just weeds; or life determined to find its way, whatever the conditions. Depends on how you look at things. :)




And from my best friend Meg, who lives in Oregon,



Otters holding hands!


And finally, from my recent trip to the swamp,


I shot this swamp last winter, from desolate to lush, what a difference the season makes!


The sky was overcast - it was spritzing a little, and when I heard thunder I decided to pack it up.


** remember, to see the photo full sized, click on the pic.

That's all for the Good Planet this weekend, if you'd like to host the biweekly post, contact me or Robin Andrea at the Dharma Bums. I think someone signed on for August, but cannot for the life of me remember who. If not, I will be glad to do it next month too!


5 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Love all these pics. I've seen the sunlight like that on the Olympic Peninsula. It's spectacular. Such beautiful creatures and scenes from our Good Planet here. That fox just takes my breath away.

Thanks for being such a fine host, sbgypsy. I can't remember who is hosting in August either. I'll have to check the archives for info.

9:35 AM, July 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, sbg, eveery time I hear we're having thunderstorms, I wonder whether CT is going to get socked with another tornado or tornado-like event again. I hope you're in a safe place and not living in tornado alley.

The photos are wonderful. The flowers and insects are beautiful this time of year. Landscapes from sun streaming through trees, to swamps, to "weeds" growing in alleys all following the imperative to live. The otters remind us that the finer emotions we claim for ourselves uniquely are found throughout the animal world. Our boasts prove nothing but our ignorance of our fellow creatures.

10:05 AM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey Robin Andrea,

The pics this week were all fantastic. I love doing it. ;)

Hey C Corax,

I'm in a pretty sheltered area, if that means anything against a tornado.

You're right, it's an exuberance of life, springing from every crack and cranny. Rich and lush. I just hope our grandchildren will be able to experience it.

10:48 AM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Lovely grouping. Thanks so much for hosting.

10:37 PM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Lola Heatherton said...

Thanks for doing this SBGypsy. By the way, I have given you a Schmooze Award. Read about it, and participate!

6:43 PM, July 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */