Friday, February 09, 2007

Our first appreciable snow

I started this post last weekend, but it's taken me all week to get 'er done. I was hanging out doing a little housework on Sat morning, and noticed a bird at the feeder. He(she) let me get up to about a foot away from this feeder with my camera.


From the markings on the wings, I'm guessing that this is a female woodpecker.


She was fixated on getting as much of this suet cake down her throat as possible. She totally ignored the seed feeder right next to it.

She didn't like it when my camera decided to flash at her, though.



We got about a half inch of snow. Enough to stick, but not quite enough to protect the plants.



We're about four feet short in the snow department this winter, with no relief in sight.



This is a view of our fishpond after it's been buttoned up for the winter. Yep, there's around 30 goldfish under that hatch at the left, swimming around very slowly in the 34 degree water. They seem to go into a psudo hibernation, with their metabolism slowing to a crawl. Sometimes they are fat and sassy when we open it up in the spring, sometimes they are skeletal. Either way, they recover in a few weeks, and spend the summer basking.

4 Comments:

Blogger andi said...

*green with envy*

snow would be very nice here. Duckie's three and still hasn't been able to throw snowballs. or make snow angels. or snow[people].

just ice and rain. it's sad.

8:16 AM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger andi said...

dear FLS:

i was just thinking not two seconds ago what a pain in the ass it is to have to cut and paste my comment just to make sure i don't lose it when i sign in. (have lost my own pithy and cute ones over the last three weeks too many times to count.)

~andi

8:26 AM, February 13, 2007  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Hey that's a beautiful photo of a sweet downy woodpecker. They are so cute. We haven't seen one for a while, I guess I should hang up a suet feeder again.

Love your snow. Have you been out checking for tracks?

11:43 AM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

The snow is not the kind that makes snowballs. It's weird. I grew up with snow, and this is the first time I've seen this. It's like dry slush, with ice over the top, enough ice that you can easily walk on it without breaking through.

I just switched over to new blogger, and haven't had a whole lot of hassle. The new fonts are funny-looking, but at least they're big. Although, TFLS, I tried to comment on your blog about Anna Nicole, and it would not let me.

3:20 PM, February 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */