Thursday, February 08, 2007

Dear John

I really didn't think I'd be writing this. I was very attracted to your stand on various issues, union organisation and the Iraq war chief among them.

However, your hiring and subsequent firing of Amanda and Shakespere's Sister shows how clueless and how accomodating to hard right nutcases you are.

We desperately need Democratic lawmakers to stand up to the people who are trying to turn our country into a facist theocracy. We still have time to turn around this last six years of governmental incompetence and the trashing of our basic rights and privileges, but if you back down before the worst of the ideologues, then you are useless to those of us who love our country and want to return it to the democratic principles we've always cleaved to.

I am forced to repudiate my support, and I would like you to take my name and address off all of your fund raising lists, since I won't be supporting your presidential run.

Thank You
SB_Gypsy

4 Comments:

Blogger That guy said...

Turns out he didn't fire them, but he's being pretty mealymouthed about the whole thing.

1:39 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Huffpo said this morning that they were fired -
So, I went to Shakes' Sis after I left your place, and I after reading all three disclaimers, I still could not figure out if he had fired them or not.

It was neither a spirited repudiation of Donohue, nor a principled defense of their hire. If his campaign didn't already know their work inside and out, they shouldn't have hired them.

It just makes Edwards look incompetent and conciliatory to a wingnut.

I was very disappointed.

2:15 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger andi said...

Actually I was kinda of impressed in a very sedate way. He took his time making a statement, it was very brief and to the point, it was honest, and it was totally understated. It seemed to me that he was saying, "Look, folks, get over yourselves. We have more important things to deal with. And by the way, I'm keeping Amanda and Melissa, so you people can just bug off." Although he's too polite to say it in exactly those terms.

Which is in itself an issue, of course.

And I snorted when I read Shakes' statement. I could just see her writing it, thinking perhaps that she was going to get away with a typically Republican statement of meaningless contrition - then get on with things and continue to do her job.

I'm gonna wait and see. If Melissa feels like she's being censored by her work on the campaign, she will make that known. And because of my enormous respect for her and her writing, that will be a determining factor in my attitudes towards Edwards.

Plus I think Donahue has come off looking like a complete asshole. Which is kinda cool.

8:19 AM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger TFLS said...

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Donohue has stepped up his attacks - aided and abetted by every MSM outlet there is. All buy his premise; making Edwards, Melissa and Amanda the goats. Five to one Edwards fires them anyway if the heat gets too toasty!

3:17 AM, February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */