Friday, August 18, 2006

The New Camera

This is a sequel to this post
*Click on the pics for a larger size.


So, my new camera came in to my PO Box at work, and I went right out after feeding it batteries to see how user friendly it is. I snapped a whole bunch of pics before finding the "flower" button. It's right on top next to the clic a pic button - you'd think I'd have looked at the camera before trying to use it - duh. I found it pretty user friendly, I'd give it an 85%.



The instruction booklet is easy to use, and has fairly clear instructions. The menu system takes a little jiggering, but works fine once you get the hang of it. Some functions that are usually on the menu of a camera are button driven.



The really cool thing about this camera is that it has 12x optical zoom, with another 4x digital zoom(which can be turned off). The zoom seems to go on forever.



It also zooms in to a pic that you have taken and are looking at in the viewfinder. That's something the Nikon won't do. So I can check a pic when I take it, and take another if it's not focused.



Another feature of this camera is that it takes any AA battery, and yet is very good about energy usage. This first round of (4)batteries lasted four or five sessions, where the Casio I am replacing went through 4 batteries almost every time I used it. It also takes NiMh recharge-ables, so I won't be tossing out all those batteries all the time.



Another good feature, and unlike my little Casio - the lens cover attaches to the LENS, not the camera body, so it never interferes with the lens motors. If you turn it on to upload your pics, you don't have to worry about the lens popping out unexpectedly.



The prospective pic can be viewed in the little 2"sq viewfinder, or it can with a flip of a switch, be viewed through the lens itself. The viewfinder also has diopter adjustment so people who are blind(like me heh heh) can see through it.



Another useful feature is that it has a button that is not used so often, and can be reassigned by the operator to other functions.





It really is a tiny little thing, it amazes me that it can do sooo much. It's an SLR, and can take 20 frames at a speed of 1.8 frames per second,. at an image size of 2816 x 2112. I haven't figured out how to do that, yet.










8 Comments:

Blogger enigma4ever said...

great pics..lovely..thanks for sharing.

11:31 PM, August 19, 2006  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

I am soooo jealous. I love your camera. I love your pictures.
Hey, do you want to trade cameras?

4:31 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Nice camera and great pics. You are definitely going to have a good time with this camera, I can see that already!

5:48 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger TFLS said...

Those pictures are marvelous, my dear! You know - I have been complaining all day to my hubby about our digital camera. It (to put it inelegantly) sucks big wazoobies. You have to use the auto-focus - meaning IT decides if you can take a picture or not. You cannot capture movement at all - and even with the flash, low light pics never come out. Frankly - I hate the damn thing. So we are looking around for something better. Does yours allow you to focus manually? Can you capture motion? Say - a hummingbird in flight?

8:57 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey Enigma4ever, I'm so glad you like them.

Hey OWL, you can have this camera when you pry it from my cold dead fingers... heh heh ;)

Hey Robin Andrea, I'm having a great time with this one!

FLS: This camera can be put on full manual, it takes small videos, it does self-timing, so you can set up a pic and then get in the pic. It has three continuous modes - one that just keeps snapping if you hold down the shutter release button, one that goes super fast and only saves the last 10 pics, and one called bracketing, that takes sets of three images with different exposures.

It totally should be able to catch a bird on the wing.(I was trying for the birds in the yard all weekend, but the feeder is not in a good place for pics. I need to do something about that-) I've taken pics of the traffic on the hwy by the shop, and it completely freezes a car going 40-50mph.

6:42 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Great job! Nice garden too.

I also like the melted pictures you linked to. Seriously ;)

9:32 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger andi said...

that is just way f-ing cool.

i love the pictures, and it's great that somehow you've uploaded them so they don't slow down the page.

i will say that i'm glad someone else will be tormented by goldenrod so early in the season. there's a huge field of it right across the road from the house. *sneeze*

7:29 AM, August 24, 2006  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey Blondesense Liz,

I kinda like 'em too. Artsy Fartsy, as my dad usta say.

Hey Andi,

Blogger must have upgraded, I did'nt do anything special. And this is the worst allergy season in years!

Ragweed - some people actually grow them in their gardens! *AACK*

3:50 PM, August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */