Sunday, August 03, 2008

My New Garden

zuchini

This year we started a veggie garden in June - the second week of June. Yes a little late, and paying for that. The garden doesn't get enough direct sun either, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I asked the guy who came with the heavy duty tiller to break up the grass: "Are you doing more new gardens this year than usual?" and he said fully half of what he was doing this year was new gardens, and business was booming!

tomatoes

I put in some plum tomatoes for sauce, and a beefsteak and a cherry. The plums are doing the best so far.

savoy cabbage


cucumbers

These were the most surprising. I had picked up a couple of cucumber starts at the nursery, one for pickling, the other for eating. I hilled them up together. Then the fruits started coming, and I spent a couple of weeks wondering what was growing there - did I get a melon plant by mistake? I finally decided to bring one home and cut it open and see what's inside. The moment I opened it the smell of cucumber burst into the kitchen! The inside is just like a cucumber, only globular. The skin is tender (NOT - hubby says peel them) and the inside is wonderfully juicy.


Dinner!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Your garden looks great. We don't have one this year, which is the first time in more years than I can remember. We definitely miss it.

9:53 AM, August 04, 2008  
Blogger Terrible said...

I've seen those round cukes in seed catalouges before but have never had them. How are they? I haven't done a garden for 6 or 7 years because I'd moved. I've been thinking the past 2 years though about asking the landlord here if I can do one. A neighbor/friend down the road has been supplying me with fresh produce though. He started must of his stuff very early indoors and has even got some bell peppers and cabbage already. I can easily believe that the tiller man is getting more business. There are more gardens poping up around here these days too.

10:21 AM, August 04, 2008  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey Robin Andrea, I can't believe you guys are not gardening this year, but sometimes you hafta shake things up!

Hey Terrible - the yellow cukes are great - I have gird, and stay away from cukes, but hubby loves 'em. He says the skin is kinda tough and peel them, but they are juicy and smell like a super cuke!

Next Year - I'll be starting in January!

2:56 PM, August 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */