Friday, November 09, 2007

Funny Thing Happened...


Not last night, but the night before last(that would be Wed Am).. My phone rang at 1am, and picking it up while still in the haze of a deep sleep, I heard what sounded like automatic rifle fire, and a man yelling into the phone what sounded like 'Alawee, Alaweee', and chattering in a foreign language in the background. I did the "hello, hello" deal, and not getting any response that I could understand, I hung up and turned over. At 1:30am the phone rings again, same voice (minus the gunshot sounds this time) with the same word. I whimper "stop calling me" before I hang up again.

4am, the phone rings again, same old thing. After running it through my brain a couple of times, and hearing the hubby stirring in his room, I took the phone to him(caller ID) and asked what he thought about it. Well, hubby's job is fixing industrial lasers, and he has friends within the small community of laser repair techs that tour the world fixing industrial lasers, so he thought maybe it was his Indian friend calling from who-knows-where and not realizing that it was the middle of the night here. It seems, the sound of a laser firing is very similar to the sound of automatic rifle fire. Hubby tried to call the number, but it had 12 digits, and didn't work...

Now, because we just recently redid all of our communications - phone, cable and internet - my number was under hubby's name, and the first to pop up under his name in directory assistance. Hubby called in to get that fixed (the only reason I have my own number is so I don't have to answer his phone, which rings constantly), and the person assisting him said we could call in with the number and get it traced.

When I got home last night, we did have the number traced, and the number was from

Syria


I kid you not! Knowing that cell phones always tell where they were bought, not nessessarily where they are when being used, I think the person who called could be literally anywhere - from next door to actually being in Syria. Any call from that phone would go through international "tubes". So, I probably already have people wiretapping my phone....hello, FBI, CIA, NSA, and WEV!

We called the local police to report the incident, and the cops were all like: "Uhm, and what do you expect us to do about it?".

Well, I don't know!

If it should happen again, I'm calling the FBI directly.

We've been going around and around about it, thinking there's lots of explanations:


  • The same thing we thought it was in the first place: a friendly laser tech, calling for some input- but using a phone picked up in Syria...
  • Just a wrong number
  • Somebody watching a movie(black hawk down?) and screwing around with the phone
  • Somebody "over there" who wants to screw around with the CIA and all those spooks, and is calling random numbers in teh US - just to watch, or imagine, the anthill explode..
  • Someone in our government who wants to screw around with *me* specifically, since I speak out in opposition(I know I know, but I'm scraping the barrel here)
What do you think it could be??



If I should stop posting, you'll know what happened...

4 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

That sounds very strange and somewhat alarming. One call is a wrong number, three calls is weirdly harassing. I hope it's hubby's techie colleague and not any of the other possibilities.

10:40 AM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger Taradharma said...

sounds like a good short story or novel, to me.

1:56 PM, November 09, 2007  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Oh, how annoying! Phone calls of any type, during the night, are such pains. You have to answer them because they might be family in need of help, but when they turn out to be from someone you don't know, GRRRRR.
I love the photo. That sky is marvelous!

12:29 PM, November 11, 2007  
Blogger Liz Blondsense said...

Sounds like someone reads your blog and knows that you are supportive of the terrorists.

;)

9:08 AM, November 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */