Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Flag, and Lady Liberty


I went to the post office the other day for stamps. They were out of the ones with the vegetables on them, they only had one roll of the flag/Lady Liberty ones.

The lady at the counter was around my age, so I hazarded a comment about how, since Vietnam, I've been leery of using flag stamps. She said yep she felt the same way. Her daughter and son-in-law are in the National Guard and her daughter had been called up to go to Iraq this week. Since her daughter had just given birth, her son-in-law was exercising his one time option of taking her place... I wished him safe, and said that if I get stuck with the flag stamps, I usually stick them on upside down.

She said that she's been seeing that more and more lately.

So, when did our flag, and sadly even Lady Liberty, begin to be a symbol for warmongering and deprivation rather than freedom, prosperity and opportunity? What will we have to do to reverse that?

*crossposted at The Fat Lady Sings

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be placing them upside down, hereafter! Thanks for the reminder.

1:38 AM, May 03, 2007  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I remember after 9/11 when everyone started wearing little flags on their lapels, my cousin wore a small statue of liberty instead. The Republicans co-opted the flag a long time ago. I think we have started to take the symbol back, but it's been a struggle. I'm glad that you put your stamp on upside down, and I hope the lady at the counter's son-in-law fares well. Actually, I wish he didn't have to go at all.

9:16 AM, May 03, 2007  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Hey OWL,

heh - it was just my gut reaction. Boss likes those flag stamps, and I don't let him buy stamps anymore..

Actually, I wish he didn't have to go at all.

You and me too, RA, you and me too.

9:58 AM, May 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* sjg */ Site Meter /* sjg */